Friday, September 23, 2011

Why is my car's coolant overflow boiling over?

I recently had the thermostat changed on my '92 Plymouth Acclaim (King of the Road!) and my coolant keeps boiling out and overflowing even though my temp gauge is going nowhere near the hot end anymore. What are the possible problems that I have?
Why is my car's coolant overflow boiling over?
Both of these previous answers are correct. Either you have a faulty radiator cap, or they put in the wrong thermostat. Also you have to take into consideration if they actually RESEALED the thermostat housing. That is to say they put a gasket in there and ALSO PUT GASKET SEALER/MAKER on there. Cooling systems will eat through those paper gaskets that are provided w/the thermostats within a matter of hours. (i.e.-the 2.2, 1998 Cavalier I had to reseal the water pump a second time because it ate the paper gasket. Resealed w/silver high temp RTV gaket maker, and it was good as new.) So take it back to the shop, ask them to PRESSURE TEST the engine. If they do not have a pressure tester, then take it to a shop that does and then never go back to the original shop. Any mechanic worth his dollar will have a cooling system pressure tester.



Good Luck



Tim
Why is my car's coolant overflow boiling over?
Take it back to the place that did your thermostat, they may have put in the wrong temp stat. Or you may have some clogs in your cooling systems ports. The coolant should circulate in the system if it backs up there is something wrong, just like the plumbing in your house.
it might be the radiator cap not holding the pressure.