Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My car does not produce heat until the car is very hot and then the heat output is minimal.?

My car does not produce heat like it used to. Even when the temperature guage in the car reads half-way hot I get very little heat. Finally when I do get heat it isn't very hot. Also my cooling fans stay on a while after I turn the car off. Someone suggested I change the thermostat. I did and I still get the same problems. I have a '97 altima. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.
My car does not produce heat until the car is very hot and then the heat output is minimal.?
If you changed the themostat and it didnt work.... it is possible you have a bad heat control valve, but if the bottom hose does not get hot.... well, not sure about the 97, but alot of the 3.0's had a nylon impeller on the water pump..... you may have one and it is bad. hard to say without knowing all the facts.....does the car overheat if you let it run sitting in one place for a while? a bad radiator cap would include overheating, along with a bad water pump..... but a bad head gasket will not always overheat and will give you no heat.....many tests can be done to know for sure!!
My car does not produce heat until the car is very hot and then the heat output is minimal.?
did you check coolant level? also I would consider a pressure test and a new radiator cap , finally i would look at the heater core
ther are a couple things you can check firs i would check the radiator cap make sure its still got a good seal then i would flush the coolant system...this would rule out a block in the lines.