Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I lose heat and temperature in my car once I go above 50 mph. Why?

I have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier. 2.2 L My car overheated and we changed the water pump and the thermostat. We have changed the thermostat three times and tested the last one to make sure it was good. The thermostat that is in the car is a 195. Now when I I drive my car if I go above 50 mph the temperature gauge goes to %26quot;C%26quot; and I lose the heat in my car. Tell me what's going on with it.
I lose heat and temperature in my car once I go above 50 mph. Why?
You may have air trapped in the coolant system. there is a guide on changing the water pump here. it tell you how to refill with coolant after the change out! If you have air in the cooling system, your heater will not work right, because the thermostat will not open. a symptom of air trapped in the cooling system would be little or no heat output from the heater when the engine is warm.



http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairG鈥?/a>
I lose heat and temperature in my car once I go above 50 mph. Why?
Sounds for all the world like your thermostat isn't working (stuck open).



I know you checked it, but there's nothing that I can think of that could possibly cause that to happen.
either you are loosing vacuum to your heater core valve causing it to close or you still have a bad thermostat that is stuck open. if you remove the one that is in it and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens. then remove it from the hot water and see if it closes as it cools. and if it does then the thermostat is fine and you need to check and see if you are loosing any vacuum or if you don't have enough coolant in the radiator it will also do what you are describing ! hope this is of some help !
your thermostat could be just stuck open. sometimes, dirty coolant can cause it to seize up but often not. you might even want to get your coolant system flushed out.