Friday, September 23, 2011

My car heats up while I am driving fast and cools down instantly when i drive slow or idling. Problem?

Thermostat was changed. No difference. What could be the problem?
My car heats up while I am driving fast and cools down instantly when i drive slow or idling. Problem?
First, I assume the %26quot;heats up%26quot; means the engine/coolant temperature goes up as opposed to the temperature inside your car.

A few years back, I had the opposite problem that the temperature drops to normal at high speed while the car overheated at low speed or idle. It turned out that the fan motor for the radiator was dead. Anyhow, here is what I think,

- Your water pump is not functioning. This is the most likely cause. I changed my water pump by myself. You need a pro if you are not a handy person.

- Your radiator fan is rotating in the wrong direction (very unlikely, unless you serviced it recently)