Friday, September 23, 2011

What could be the reason my car keeps overheating?

Although my car is due for an oil change it has plenty of oil in it, therefore I don't think that is the reason for my car overheating. After driving a few blocks my car alerts me that my engine is overheating, turn off engine. It overheats faster when I'm running the heater and revving the engine. I have coolant and water in my car. Could it be my thermostat or a more serious matter? I promise to take better care of my baby if she comes back from this.
What could be the reason my car keeps overheating?
probably a stuck thermostat
What could be the reason my car keeps overheating?
You need to check for a few things.

Does your heat work? If you have heat in the interior of your car, coolant is circulating and your water pump is turning. I find it funny that you said it overheats faster when you have the heater on. Usually the heater core will provide a decent amount of cooling when the fan is on high and the coolant is flowing through it.

If there is no heat, you either have an airlock somewhere or your water pump is not turning.

If there is heat, it is most likely a thermostat.

There is no way to explain how to check for this, because you did not mention your make and model of vehicle, but with that information troubleshooting should be fairly easy.
Is seems that the coolant is not getting into the engine. Is the radiator hose cracked or does it have a hole in it? Is the coolant leaking? Leave the car parked on pavement for a little while then move it. Is there any green fluid on the ground? If so, you have a leak.



Or you can have someone look underneath your car, if you go to Midas, they may not even charge you if it's minor, and see what it is.



My coolant kept leaking because the clamp was loose. Midas put it back on for me at no charge.