Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Car has no Thermostat but still over heats... I changed out the temp. sensor but still no AC what can I do?

year/make/model/trans/engine/miles
My Car has no Thermostat but still over heats... I changed out the temp. sensor but still no AC what can I do?
For starters, put a thermostat in - I recommend one from the dealer because of bad experiences with after market thermostats. The thermostat is important for fuel economy (cold engines suck down fuel) and for cooling - the thermostat sends hot water to the radiator while the water coming into the engine is only warm. Because of that the radiator gets rid of more heat when there is a thermostat than when it does not and the engine gets cooler water coming in to cool it.



Once there is a thermostat in place so the system can work normally, if it still overheats check back with us. We need to know make, model and year of the car, and when it overheats (idle and low speeds, on the freeway, or both). However, if there has been more than a bit of tap water put in the system the radiator is probably plugged and has to be replaced. That leads to overheating on the freeway and eventually all the time. The temperature just builds up.