Thursday, October 6, 2011

I just had my thermostat changed and 2 days later my engine blew!!! HELP!?

So I have a 2002 BMW 325XI with 80,000 miles on it and had my thermostat changed and drove my car about a total of 15-20 miles, than one morning while driving to work my car started to smoke through the vents. No dash warning lights came on or anything so I thought nothing of it and figured the thermostat was just working really well. My car had this VERY THICK white smoke coming from the tailpipes right before stalling. I checked under the engine to see oil everywhere. I had it towed to a different place other than where the thermostat was changed and was told the block cracked. I was also told that it had nothing to do with the thermostat being changed but I also heard it quite possibly could of been something the mechanic had done during the thermostat change. If anyone can help me with this problem PLEASE help!!!
I just had my thermostat changed and 2 days later my engine blew!!! HELP!?
The white smoke would be from a blown head gasket allowing coolant into the exhaust and it burning off. The smell was probably a sweet smell. The smoke through the vents should have been a sign to stop and check. If the thermostat didn't work that could have caused it to overheat. Pull it out and put it in a pot of water and boil it if it pops open then you know the thermostat was good. If not that could be the reason your car overheated. The mechanic should have ran your car to normal operating temp and checked to see if it would overheat before he let you have the car back.
I just had my thermostat changed and 2 days later my engine blew!!! HELP!?
The only way that the thermostat could have done anything to the engine is if it was put in backwards, if that was the case then your engine would blown up from the lack of water causing the engine to over heat. It sounds like you through a rod if you see oil all over the engine , the only way that would happen with just 80,000 miles on the engine is if it was without oil.
rich kids you blew it i wish i knew you big $$$$$