Thursday, October 6, 2011

Electric fans will not come on until car gets hot?

I have a 1994 olds cutlass surpreme with 3.1 v6. It is running hot. I have noticed the dual electric fans are not coming on until like 250 or 260 degrees one will come on then when the car is in the red temp wise, the other will kick on. When i drive the car the temp is just a little above regular temp. When i turn on the air, no fans. But i did notice a loud click sound going from normal air to max air and off. I have changed several things, temp sensor, thermostat, water pump, radiator cap, fan relay, nothing. I even unplugged the computer for a hour in hopes that it may reset, still the same thing. HELP! I am tired of chasing this thing.
Electric fans will not come on until car gets hot?
Either the battery or the coolant is running low.
Electric fans will not come on until car gets hot?
theres supose to do that unless u have a switch were u controlle it
I hope it is just a fuse
The radiator itself might be clogged and needs cleaning out, it's probably not circulating the coolant efficiently enough to keep the engine cool
unplug the temp sensors and start your car and the fans should come on automatically. if they do you can drive it like that . wont hurt a thing the fans will just be on whenever your engine is running. if you shut your engine off they will shut off too .if they don't come on you may have to wire them into a relay that powers them when you start your car
You got me there...

It is very important that you bleed the cooling system with the heat on when you replace the water pump and/or the thermostat. Make sure there is enough coolant.

Good luck!
I had this same problem on a 91 camaro w/3.1 and I never figured out what caused it. The engine never ran hot enough to boil out the coolant. I resolved the problem by purchasing an auxillary cooling fan thermostat setup and wired it into the cooling fan circuit so the fan would come on at 190* If you are interested in doing that I might be able to help via e-mail.